Our particular expertise includes:
- Gender, Religion and Development – explores how socio-cultural norms interact with the construction of gender relations and patriarchy, and how such relations affect women’s economic and political empowerment.
- Infrastructure Development and Its Local Impact – explores the development and human security impacts deriving from China’s Belt and Road Initiative, IT and Ecommerce Development in Southeast Asia.
- Civil Society and Human Security – examines how significant social changes such as urbanisation, climate change and natural disasters have affected community resilience, food security, refugees, governance and social policy.
- Military politics, Democracy and Human rights – examines political development processes with particular attention to the drivers and obstacles to change, and the role of the international community in facilitating or inhibiting progress.
- China and the Asia-Pacific Security - explores external and internal drivers of China’s foreign and security policies, Chinese military modernisation, China’s relationship with countries in South East Asia & Pacific Islands Region, and the implications for Australia’s strategic interests.