As a School in one of the world’s top universities, we offer exciting and innovative research opportunities.
Our School has a strong research focus and our staff are respected experts in their fields.
Within our four scholarly disciplines, we have internationally recognised research leadership in seven research themes. Within those themes, there are currently eight defence-related research focus areas.
Drawing on disciplines and methodologies in the humanities and social sciences, we have strengths in the research themes of:
- Culture, literature and media in war
- Social change and cultural conflict
- Asia-Pacific politics and security
- International ethics, norms and law
- Global security
- Military History
- Australian Literature
Find out more about the International Ethics Research Group
Defence-related research focus areas
Our current research foci :
- The ethics of new military technologies
- Climate security
- The Responsibility to Protect (R2P)
- Cyber security
- Maritime security in the Asia-Pacific
- China’s military modernisation
- Data analysis of military operations
- Australian Defence Force History.
We are delighted to supervise suitably qualified candidates for research degrees within our areas of expertise.
Find out more about higher degrees by research
Contributions to broader debate
Our academic staff frequently appear in the media. See what we have been doing recently