Applications open for ACT Writer-In-Residence
Applications are now open for the ACT Writer-in-Residence Program.
What is the ACT Writer-in-Residence Program?
This special three-year Australian program is open to Australian writers working in any form/genre, for example fiction (including young adult), non-fiction, drama and poetry. The program provides the selected writer with a stipend of $7500 for the month-long residency, a working space at UNSW Canberra and accommodation at the Gorman Arts Centre, both in the ACT. The writer makes use of the resources of UNSW Canberra while researching and/or working on a creative project and is encouraged to engage with the creative community at the Gorman Arts Centre and its nearby twin the Ainslie Arts Centre; the writer is also required to deliver a community engagement component.
The program is an initiative of the ACT Writers Centre in close collaboration with UNSW Canberra and is supported by the Copyright Agency Ltd.
Who the program is for:
Each year the ACT Writer-in-Residence Program seeks an Australian author with (1) a national reputation, (2) significant publication history, (3) recognised in Australian awards, and (4) reviewed in the mainstream press and literary journals. However, suitably qualified developing writers are also encouraged to apply.
The benefits to the writer include:
- immersion in the world-class collections, resources and programs offered by a top-tier tertiary education institution, including the uniquely strong Australian literature collection in UNSW Canberra’s Academy Library;
- connection with the vibrant life and multi-arts opportunities of Ainslie and Gorman Arts Centres; and
- time and space to create new work; and
- opportunities to engage with the ACT’s vibrant arts and cultural community more broadly, including the national cultural institutions.
The successful applicant will receive a stipend of $7500 plus the provision of accommodation at Gorman Arts Centre via the recently refurbished ArtSit, and a working space at UNSW Canberra. All other costs, including travel to and from and within the ACT and incidentals (meals etc), will be the responsibility of the writer.
The 4-week residency must occur in September of the year the program is held.
Applicants are required to nominate a community engagement program to be delivered during the residency. This may involve engaging with UNSW Canberra students, and/or a mentorship opportunity, and/or a community workshop, and/or a digital engagement experience.
Applications are assessed by a panel that will include representatives of UNSW Canberra and the ACT Writers Centre. The panel’s decision is final and feedback to applicants is not provided.
The selection criteria are as follows:
- the achievements of the writer;
- the articulation of the project, including how the residency will develop the project; and
- community engagement activities.
Preference will be given to writers who would not otherwise be able to access the ACT and its resources on a regular basis.
Your application must include:
- a biographical statement (one paragraph);
- a project proposal and a statement on how the residency will help the project develop (one paragraph);
- an outline of the community engagement activities proposed (one paragraph); and
- a resume
- please note that you may be asked to provide a sample of your writing.
You are welcome to note in your application that, should you not be awarded the residency in 2017, you would like to be considered for 2018 and/or 2019.
Applications close at 4pm EST on Friday 7 April 2017.