Conference of the International Society for Military Ethics: Asia-Pacific Chapter
University of New South Wales Canberra at ADFA,
November 7- 8 2017, University of New South Wales Canberra at ADFA, Canberra, Australia
‘Diverse Perspectives on Military Ethics in Asia and the Pacific’
The inaugural conference of APAC-ISME, the Asia-Pacific division of the International Society for Military Ethics, will be hosted by the Australian Centre for the Study of Armed Conflict and Society (ACSACS) at the University of New South Wales in Canberra. The conference will bring together academics and practitioners to promote high-quality research on professional military ethics within the regional national security environment.
We invite submissions for individual papers, panel discussions, and streams on any topic in military ethics, broadly construed, including:
- Advances in military technology & pharmacology (autonomous weapons systems, biomedical enhancement of personnel, cyber-technologies, artificial intelligence etc.)
- Just War Theory and non-Western perspectives on the morality of war
- Emerging security challenges from non-state actors (terrorists, hackers, drug-cartels etc.)
- Moral injury and veteran care
- Armed humanitarian intervention/Responsibility to Protect/Peacekeeping
- Ethics in the exercise of military command and civilian control
- Military service as an occupation rather than a vocation
- Declining U.S. influence in the Asia-Pacific region and its normative impact
- Revival of historical causes of conflict (resource wars, human migration, control of shipping and transport routes, localised nationalism).
Please submit a 500 Word abstract and short bio to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 30, 2017. Presenters will be notified of acceptance on May 1. Papers should be prepared for a 30-minute presentation (a 20-minute talk followed by 10 minutes of Q&A).
$250 (staff rate), $100 (student rate/unwaged).
Conference fees includes:
- Conference programme
- Lunch and refreshments on both days
- Catered reception on the evening of November 7
A small bursary may be available to assist with travel expenses for presenters coming from overseas. Applicants will need to demonstrate that they do not have institutional support, and be selected to present at the conference by the conference committee. For more information, please contact email@example.com
Accommodation and Venue
More details will be released closer to date at: