Peter Jones AO DSC
Peter Jones AO DSC
MA (UNSW), BA (UNSW)
Peter Jones joined the Royal Australian Navy and had a 40 year career retiring as a Vice Admiral. His sea going appointments included Commanding Officer HMAS Melbourne, (1998-1999) during which time the ship enforced UN sanctions against Iraq in the Arabian Gulf and Commander Australian Surface Task Group (2002-2003). In the latter role he commanded the RAN Task Group in the Arabian Gulf and command of the multinational Maritime Interception Force during the 2003 Iraq War.
His more senior Defence appointments related to Information Communications Technology and the development of requirements for major capital equipment. His final position was Chief of the Capability Development Group.
Peter Jones received a Bachelor of Arts (UNSW 1978), a Masters of Arts (UNSW 1989) and is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and the Advanced Management Program (Harvard Business School 2005).
Since the late 1970s Peter has written on maritime strategy and Australian naval history. His current projects are production of the Australian Naval History video and podcast series and writing the biography of Vice Admiral Sir Albert Poland KBE DSO DSC RN.
Peter Jones is Patron of the Australian Defence Alpine Sports Association and President of the Australian Naval Institute.
Books & Journals Contributed/Edited:
- Australia’s Navy, AGPS, Canberra, inaugural Executive Editor (1989-1991).
- Reflections of the RAN, co-edited with J.V.P. Goldrick, T.R. Frame, (1991).
- Australia’s Argonauts: The remarkable story of the first class to enter the Royal Australian Naval College. Echo Books, Canberra, 2016.
- The Royal Australian Navy, Volume III - The Australian Centenary History of Defence, Oxford University Press, 2001. Chapters spanning 1972-1991.
- The Face of Naval Battle: The Human Experience of Modern War at Sea, Edited John Reeve and David Stevens, Allen and Unwin, 2003, Chapter on Future Naval Battle.
- Positioning Navies for the Future, Seapower Centre Australia, Canberra, 2006. Chapter - “Littoral Warfare Today and in the Future”.
- Australian Dictionary of Biography entries for Vice Admiral Sir John Collins, Rear Admiral Sir David Martin and Captain James Esdaile (to be published), Australian National University.
- Presence, Power Projection and Sea Control: The RAN in the Gulf 1990-2009, Sea Power Centre in Australia, 2009. Chapter on Task Group Command.
- Naval Power And Expeditionary Wars: Peripheral Campaigns And New Theatres Of Naval Warfare, edited by Bruce Elleman, Rutledge, 2010, contributed chapter on Iraq 2003.
- Australian Naval Command and Leadership in Recent Operations, Edited by John Perryman & Andrew Forbes, Seapower Centre Australia, 2014.
- The War at Sea 1914-18, edited by Andrew Forbes, Seapower Centre Australia, 2015.
- Australian Naval Institute Journal, “Australian Naval Institute in 1991 - A Discussion Paper on Future Options”, Lieutenant Commander Peter Jones, RAN & Lieutenant Tom Frame, RAN, Vol. 17 No. 1 February 1991.
- Australian Naval Institute Journal, “Women in Surface Combatants”, Vol. 19 No. 4, November 1993.
- Australian Naval Institute Journal, “Change Management in the RAN: Making it Better,” Vol. 20 No. 4 January 1995.
- Niobe Papers Volume 7, Edited by F.W. Crickard and G.L. Witol, The Naval Officers Association of Canada, 1995, Paper - “The RAN and the Naval Reserve.”
- Maritime Security Working Papers Number 3, May 1996, Multi-National Operations: Their Demands and Impact on Medium Power Navies, Centre for Foreign Policy Studies, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada.
- Australian Naval Institute Journal , “The need for a ship design philosophy in the RAN”, Vol. 25 No. 2 June 1999.
- Australian Naval Institute Journal , “Maritime Interception Operations Screen Commander in the Gulf, Parts 1 & 2: Operation Slipper” , Winter and Spring Editions 2003.
- United States Naval Institute Proceedings, "A Farewell to the Gulf"; October 2004.
- Australian Defence Force Journal, "Advanced in Information Communications Technology & their Impact on future ADF Commanders", Issue 176, 2008.
- Australian Defence Force Journal, "In the Wake of an Admiral: Some Reflections on Sea Command in the Modern Era", Issue 184, 2011.
- Struggle For A Solution: The RAN and the Acquisition of a Surface to Air Missile Capability, Sea Power Centre Working Paper No.2., P.D. Jones & J.V.P. Goldrick, 2000.
- Task Group Command, Centre for Defence Command, Leadership and Management Studies, Command papers, No. 3, 2004.
Contributed Drawings to:
- Jane’s Fighting Ships (1979-1989).
- Vanguard to Trident: British Naval Policy Since World War II, Eric Grove, US Naval Institute Press, 1987.
- King’s Ships Were At Sea, J.V.P. Goldrick, US Naval Institute Press, 1984.
Honours & Awards
- Maritime Commander Australia Commendation (1989).
- Maritime Commander Canada Commendation (1996).
- Member of the Order of Australia (2002).
- Distinguished Service Cross (2003).
- US Legion of Merit (2003).
- Officer of the Order of Australia (2012).