Guide to the Papers of Janet Uhr
|Manuscript Name||Papers of Janet Uhr|
|Manuscript Number||MSS 260|
|Last Updated||June 2015|
|Extent||28 cm. (2 boxes)|
|Location||Academy Library, UNSW Canberra|
|Abstract||This collection consists of material collected by author, Janet Uhr, during the researching and writing of her book tiitled ' Against the Sun : The AIF in Malaya, 1941-42. In the collection are 5 pieces of artwork by Corporal Raymond Moult-Spiers.|
Restrictions on Use
No copying is permitted without the permission of the copyright owners.
- Print out of the WW2 Nominal Roll detailing the war service record of Corporal Raymond Moult-Spiers.
- Cutting from The Australian Monthly (AM) magazine, dated February 1953 about the life of Raymond Moult-Spiers.
- 2 photocopies of the above article and 1 of reverse page (3 p.).
- Letter from Raymond Moult-Spiers to Janet Uhr (3 p.), dated 2 February, year unknown. The letter includes the poem by R. Moult-Spiers TheRailway.
- Note by Janet Uhr mentioning the death of Raymond Moult-Spiers.
- 2 page photocopy of biographical article re. Raymond Moult-Spiers from: Ron Mumford, 2011, Echoes of War in Avoca: the service and sacrifice of a small rural community in two world wars. Avoca, NSW: Avoca Australia Remembers Committee in association with the Berrima District Historical and Family History Society, pp. 90-91.
3 sheets of artwork, signed R. Moult-Spiers
- 1 double-sided with scenes of Thailand
- ‘“War pays a visit”, Street in Singapore after an air-raid’
- Scene with figures carrying large logs
Black and white painting signed R. Moult-Spiers, ‘The wilderness of our souls’, including on left ‘Moult-Spiers, self-portrait, P.O.W. 1945’. On reverse of backing board is a small panel of explanatory text.
Painting signed R. Moult-Spiers. Caption reads ‘“Swamp”: One of the earliest efforts of the artist, painted with Chinese black and crayon’.
Published book with title on title page Changi souvenir song book: a selection of musical numbers created by Ray Tullipan and Slim de Grey at Changi and presented to the thousands of Allied prisoners of war by the AIF (Eighth Division) Concert Party. [?1947]
Note:Title on cover is Changi souvenir song album: 24 of the most popular hits created by Ray Tullipan and Slim de Grey of the A.I.F. Concert Party.
Letters written by R. Moult-Spiers to Janet Uhr (June-August 1984).
- Letter by Ken McQueen to Janet Uhr (22/1/1992).
- Photocopy of the diary of Private T.G.N. McQueen.
- Letter by Mary Power to Janet Uhr (31/10/1982).
- Transcription and photocopy of the diary of Lance Corporal Jack Ega