Each UNSW Canberra School has a list of required textbooks and recommended titles which are listed in individual course outlines.
It is UNSW Canberra policy that items which are prescribed (compulsory) course textbooks are expected to be purchased by the student doing the course so to assist students, the Schools work with the Library to produce a Textbook List for each semester.
The UNSW Canberra Semester 1, 2023 textbook lists are now available:
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences (ZHSS) v.1
- School of Business (ZBUS) v.2
- School of Engineering and Information Technology (ZEIT) UG
- School of Engineering and Information Technology (ZEIT) PG
- School of Science (ZPEM) v.1
The Textbook List has key course information (i.e. it is sorted by course code) and includes the compulsory and recommended titles, their authors, the required edition/s and whether the Library has the item in electronic form and/or in a hardcopy form.
The Library provides access to textbooks in the following formats:
- Electronic copy with a licence that allows unlimited users
For these items, students only need to purchase a copy for themselves should they wish to.
- Electronic copy with a licence that is restricted to 3-user or 6-user licences
For these items, the Library cannot guarantee access to an electronic copy as there is the potential for multiple users using the copy concurrently and exceeding the licence restrictions. It is recommended that students purchase their own copy of the textbook.
- Hardcopy (print format)
Sometimes the texts are only available in hardcopy (e.g. print) format. For these items students need to purchase a copy for themselves although the Library strives to have at least one copy of a textbook or recommended title in the Library’s onsite Course Readings (CR) Collection. It is possible to borrow these books, however the loan period is 4 hours.
Students may wish to purchase print or single licence electronic textbooks using Booko (https://booko.com.au/) which aggregates price and availability across a number of book suppliers (including those below and more). Alternately, students can search the some of the following online providers, noting that the list is for reference and it is not to be seen as an endorsement by the university:
- Booktopia: https://www.booktopia.com.au
- Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com
- Amazon (Australia): https://www.amazon.com.au
- VitalSource: https://www.vitalsource.com/en-au/
In addition to the required textbooks and recommended materials, your lecturer may also nominate a number of other course readings (e.g. articles, reports, image clips, etc.). Course readings lists are usually made available via your course units on Moodle.