UNSW Canberra Library facilities, study spaces and resources are provided to support the educational, research and administrative activities of the University. These conditions of use are intended to ensure equitable access for all Library clients.
- All members of staff and all students of The University of New South Wales are automatically registered clients.
- Defence staff working at ADFA and UNSW Alumni can be registered on application.
- Other people may be registered as UNSW Academy Library clients under membership options approved by the Library Manager, UNSW Canberra.
All registered clients and visitors to the campus have access to designated public areas within the Library building and to the facilities and collections in these public areas. Access may be restricted to registered clients at particular times or dates. Booking of particular spaces may be limited to certain user groups.
Special Collections is located in the Academy Library but operates as a separate service. Access to and use of Special Collections materials must comply with the Special Collections Access and Use Policy.
Clients with UNSW zID logins have access to the Library's subscribed electronic resources. Alumni registered borrowers have access to a limited number of subscribed electronic resources. Electronic resources are not available to community borrowers.
Registered clients and visitors may be asked to show relevant identification when using library facilities.
Use of other client’s accounts or attempting to gain access to library resources under false pretences is prohibited. Registered clients and visitors are also prohibited from helping unregistered clients gain access to resources.
UNSW Canberra Library facilities may not be used for commercial purposes.
- Borrowing information, loan periods and penalties for overdue items are specified on the Library website. It is the responsibility of authorised users to familiarise themselves with all borrowing information on the Library website and adhere to loan periods and conditions.
Library computers are provided for authorised users and visitors for use of library and course-related resources. Users of library computers must comply with the following University policies and procedures:
- UNSW Canberra - Ethics and Responsibilities (Acceptable Use of UNSW Information and Communication Resources Policy)
- UNSW Australia - Acceptable Use of UNSW Information and Communication Technology Resources Policy
- UNSW Australia - Acceptable Use of UNSW Information and Communication Technology Resources Procedures
- UNSW Australia - Email Policy
- Library users and visitors must observe the Copyright Act 1968 provisions and regulations at all times when accessing library resources both on and off campus. Most of the electronic resources provided by UNSW are subject to licence agreements and copyright restrictions. Individual users are personally responsible for ensuring their use of these resources complies with all relevant legislation and agreements.
- Personal belongings may not be left unattended in the Library. Lockers are available free of charge in the cloakroom of the Library for day use only. Any unattended items may be removed. Details are outlined in the UNSW Canberra Library Lost Property policy.
- Library clients, staff and visitors must respect each other at all times and not participate in behaviour or conduct likely to interfere with the comfort or convenience of others, in accordance with the UNSW Code of Conduct and Student Conduct Policy.
- The Library aims to be a safe and healthy environment, conducive to study for all clients.
- Smoking is not permitted in the Library
- Drinking (bottles or cups with lids) is permitted throughout the Library
- Consumption of cold food is permitted
- No alcohol, hot food, meals or odorous foods may be brought into the Library
- Mobile phones are permitted, provided the ring tone is set to very low or silent
- The University reserves the right to check bags, folders or other belongings of library clients and visitors.
- Displaying posters and notices is allowed in designated areas of the Library at the discretion of the Library Manager, UNSW Canberra. Prior authorisation must be obtained.
- Photography and filming requires prior authorisation from the Library Manager, UNSW Canberra.
- Children must be accompanied and supervised by an adult at all times. A Parents’ Room is available on the Library’s top floor if needed for short periods.
Serious or repeated infringements of conditions will be referred to the appropriate UNSW Canberra and/or ADFA Defence executive. Offences may be referred to UNSW Canberra Security or ACT Police who may take further action.