I am a Lecturer in Public Sector Management within the School of Business, UNSW Canberra, as part of the Public Service Research Group. I hold an Australian Research Council DECRA Fellowship which is examining the growth of private sector investment in biodiversity and natural capital.
My research aims to understand how governments, businesses and other actors can more effectively protect and manage our natural environment. To do this, I use theories and methods from the natural and social sciences to inform the design, implementation and evaluation of environmental laws, policies and tools. I have a diverse background, including undergraduate degrees in mathematics and ecology, a PhD in public policy, and direct experience with policymaking. I sit on the editorial boards of Conservation Letters.
Recent media and comment
- Compensation revelations. ABC News. September 2021
- Warragamba Dam’s EIS shows New South Wales government’s efforts to avoid compensation. ABC News. September 2021
- Destroying vegetation along fences and roads could worsen our extinction crisis — yet the NSW government just allowed it. The Conversation. September 2021
- Coal companies allowed to delay environmental offsets on NSW mines for up to 10 years. The Guardian. September 2021
- Taking care of business: the private sector is waking up to nature’s value. The Conversation. February 2021.
- Navigating Uncertainty - S01E12 - Why Biodiversity Loss Is A Growing Risk For Business. UNSW Canberra Podcasts. Spotify Podcasts. SoundCloud. December 2020.
- Brisbane 'throws ratepayer money overseas' to be carbon neutral’: Councillor. Brisbane Times. November 2020.
- Why ignoring biodiversity loss is an increasingly risky business. The Canberra Times. September 2020.
- 'We are relying on a pinky promise’: The problem with the Government moving its environmental powers to states. ABC News. September 2020.
- Ask an Expert: What is the EPBC Act? UNSW Ask An Expert. September 2020.
- The magic of the market won’t help the environment unless government also takes responsibility. The Guardian. July 2020.
- Morrison government urged to fix flawed environmental offsets leaving threatened species at risk. The Guardian. June 2020.
- Scientists fear Coalition’s push to deregulate environmental approvals will lead to extinction crisis. The Guardian. June 2020.
- Overestimating rate of biodiversity loss can have unexpected consequences. UNSW Canberra. May 2020