Chancellor of UNSW David Gonski AC will award degrees to 775 students at two ceremonies at the UNSW Canberra campus on Wednesday, 9 December 2015. The degrees will be presented to both undergraduate trainee officers - Midshipmen and Officer Cadets of the Australian Defence Force - and postgraduate domestic and international students from the general community.
UNSW Canberra graduates almost twice as many postgraduate students as undergraduate students. Of the 775 degrees to be awarded, 408 are postgraduate coursework degrees, 77 are postgraduate research degrees and 290 are undergraduate degrees.
Media opportunities exist for visuals during the ceremonies and interviews following the ceremonies. Potential newsworthy stories include:
- UNSW Alumnus James Haw who has been elected as Rhodes Scholar elect, Australia at Large in 2015 will be attending the conferral ceremonies;
- Two undergraduate students David Neil Woolley BA (Hon) and Jacob Ward Taylor BIT (Hon) will be awarded the University Medals during the degree conferring ceremonies for outstanding academic achievements at the undergraduate level.
- His Excellency General The Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Ret’d) Governor of New South Wales will be awarded UNSW's highest honour - anhonorary Degree of Doctor of the University, honoris causa, in recognition of his eminent Service to the community and University
The two ceremonies include:
- Humanities and Social Sciences and Business Conferral Ceremony: (commences 10.00am)
Guest speaker:UNSW Canberra AlumnusHis Excellency General The Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Ret’d) (BA UNSW, GradDIp UNSW) is the 38th Governor of New South Wales. Prior to his appointment as Governor, His Excellency served for 42 years in the Australian Army, concluding his service as the Chief of the Defence Force.
- Engineering, Science and TechnologyConferral Ceremony: (commences 2.00pm)
Guest speaker: UNSW Canberra AlumnusMr Duncan Lewis AO, DSC, CSC (BA UNSW, GradDip Deakin University) Director General of Security, Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO). Prior to that appointment, he was Australian Ambassador to the Kingdom of Belgium, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and the European Union. He is a retired Australian Army officer, and formerly Special Operations Commander Australia (2002–2004), National Security Advisor, and Secretary of the Department of Defence.
Degrees to be awarded:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Graduate Certificates in, Engineering science, Business, Information Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Science, Arts, Business, , Systems Engineering, Project Management
- Masters of Arts in Military History, Strategy and Management, Strategy and Policy, Strategy and Security
- Masters of Management Studies
- Masters of Project Management
- Masters of Business
- Master of Capability Management
- Master of Engineering Science
- Master of Science
- Master of Systems Engineering
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Space Engineering
- Master of Space Operations
- Master of Cyber Security
- Master of Sustainable Management
- Master of Philosophy – Politics, Indonesian Studies (by research)
- Master of Engineering (by research)
- Master of Science (by research)
- Doctor of Philosophy in History, English, Southeast Asian Social Inquiry, Management, Economics, Geography, Chemistry, Oceanography, Computer Science, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, International and Political Studies, Mathematics, Doctor of Information Technology
- Doctor of the University honoris causa.
Media enquiries: Natalia Komarova 0468 989 181 email@example.com