A Preventive Maintenance Approach Under Random Machine Breakdown Environments
This work aims some mathematical models and solution approaches to determine the optimal preventive maintenance schedules for a repairable and maintainable series system of resources/machines with an increasing rate of occurrence of failure. Due to random machine breakdown nature in real-time context, this work aims to determine the Optimal Inspection Frequency for minimizing random machine breakdowns, Optimal No. of Resource needed to meet fluctuated resource consumption rate, Optimal No. of interruptions on activity execution during resource usage, Optimal Sequencing rule for processing jobs through two machines, Optimal Sequencing rule for processing jobs through multiple machines and Optimal sequence of getting machines overhauled by N-number of maintenance crews, for any real life domains (i.e., supply chain, project scheduling, production planning etc.). An advanced algorithm (exact, heuristic or both) will be utilized and the effectiveness of the approach will be presented through the use of a numerical example. Such a modelling approach should be useful for maintenance planners and engineers tasked with the problem of developing recommended maintenance plans for complex systems of components.
This research work will aim to determine the following measures, which will be later solved by using any advanced optimisation algorithm:
- Determine optimal inspection frequency to minimize resource breakdowns or disruptions
- Develop equations on impact of uncertain activity durations on resource availabilities and resource usage (if any).
- Determine optimal number of interruptions on activity execution during resource usage
- Find out the optimal sequencing rule for processing jobs through two machines
- Determine optimal sequencing rule for processing jobs through multiple machines
- Measure optimal sequence of getting machines overhauled by N-number of maintenance crews
Contact Dr. Ripon Chakrabortty for further information. Each potential student need to write a research proposal highlighting research motivation, research problems, research objectives, brief review of the most relevant literature, proposed methodology and expected outcome. For further communication e-mail me: