Dr. Samuel Chan is an Adjunct Lecturer at the University of New South Wales, Canberra, Australian Defence Force Academy. He was formerly an Associate Research Fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University (Singapore), and a Jebsen Fellow at the Centre for Conflict and Peace Studies (Afghanistan). Dr. Chan facilitated military education courses at ADFA and SAFTI Military Institute, and also attended the Summer Seminar in Military History at the United States Military Academy, West Point. His civilian education includes a B.Sc with Honours Class 1 in Statistics (UNSW), a M.Sc in Strategic Studies (NTU), a M.Sc in Russian and East European Studies (Oxford), and a Ph.D in Political and International Studies (UNSW). Dr. Chan is the beneficiary of the British Chevening Scholarship, Tan Kah Kee Postgraduate Scholarship, and Australian Postgraduate Award.
- Samuel Chan, "Strategic gains without the Strategic Corporal: The Singapore Armed Forces in Afghanistan (2007-13)," in David Lovell (ed.), The Strategic Corporal Revisited: Challenges for Combatants in Twenty-First Century Warfare (under review).
- Samuel Chan, "Forged in an Australian Institution of Excellence: Distinguished Singaporean graduates of the Royal Military College Duntroon" (submitted for review).
- Ho Shu Huang and Samuel Chan, The SAF and Singapore at 50 (Singapore: Institute of Policy Studies) - part of the Singapore Chronicles Monograph Series to commemorate Singapore's first 50 years of independence (forthcoming).
- Alan Chong and Samuel Chan "Civil-Military Relations in Singapore: Militarized Civilians preparing for 'Crisis' within a Calibrated Nationalism" (submitted for review).
- Samuel Chan, "Into the fight with one fist tied: contours and fault lines of the Second Indo-China War," Pointer: Journal of the Singapore Armed Forces, 37:2 (2011), pp. 11-22.
- Samuel Chan, "The Evolution of Peace Support Operations and implications for the conscript military," Pointer: Journal of the Singapore Armed Forces, 37:1 (2011), pp. 62-78.
- Samuel Chan, "Pyrrhic victory in the 'Tournament of Shadows': Central Asia's quest for water security (1991-2009)," Asian Security, 6:2 (2010), pp. 121-45.
- Samuel Chan, "The IDF and the Second Lebanon War", Pointer: Journal of the Singapore Armed Forces, 34:4 (2009), pp. 45-56.
- Samuel Chan, "Sentinels of Afghan Democracy: The Afghan National Army", Military Review (Jan/Feb 2009), pp. 25-40.
- Samuel Chan, "The problems of Neighbours, Brothers and Guests: Breaking the impasse in Afghanistan", China and Eurasia Forum Quarterly, 6:4 (2008) pp. 103-28.
- Samuel Chan, "What next for the PAP and Opposition?" TODAY, 17 September 2015.
- Samuel Chan, "A key question as S’pore votes: Will the next PM emerge?" TODAY, 9 September 2015.
- Samuel Chan, "Get national servicemen to volunteer for overseas missions," TODAY, 25 November 2014.
- Samuel Chan, "Nervous times for rulers as Singapore considers change," The Sydney Morning Herald, 7 May 2011.
- Samuel Chan, "Leadership renewal in the SAF," The Straits Times, 12 April 2011.
- Samuel Chan, "Recognising the efforts of 'Mr Positives'," The Straits Times, 8 September 2010.