MAJ Andrew Maher is an infantry officer with particular interest in operations conducted by, with and through foreign forces, as a result of operational experience in Afghanistan and Iraq. Andrew has a Masters in Defence Studies, has commanded at Platoon and Company levels, and is currently serving as a Military Fellow, Lecturer and a Doctoral candidate with the University of New South Wales, Canberra.
- ‘Strategic Planners,’ The Long Road: The Long Road: Australia’s Train, Advise and Assist Missions, Ed. Tom Frame, UNSW Press, 2017.
- Invited publication with Joint Special Operations University (JSOU). Information-Age Proxy Warfare, pending publication, TBC 2019.
- Australian Army Journal, ‘Understanding our Middle-Eastern competitor: The Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps Quds Force,’ Jun 2018, available at: https://www.army.gov.au/sites/g/files/net1846/f/army_journal_autumn_2018_maher_faweb.pdf
- Australian Army, ‘An Australian doctrinal concept for Special Warfare: Lessons and Considerations’, Directorate of Future Land Warfare, Sep 2016, available at: https://www.army.gov.au/our-future/australian-army-research-centre/australian-army-research-centre-publications/army-18
- Australian Army Journal, ‘Strategic Planners: A response to operational complexity’, Autumn 2016, available at: https://www.army.gov.au/sites/g/files/net1846/f/aaj_2016_1.pdf
- Australian Defence Force Journal, ‘Counter-Network Operations: insights into the application of complexity theory’, Nov 2015, available at: www.defence.gov.au/adc/adfj/Documents/issue_198/Maher_Nov_2015.pdf
- Australian Army Journal, ‘Regional SOF capacity building: An asymmetric Australian maritime strategy’, Oct 2015, available at: https://www.army.gov.au/sites/g/files/net1846/f/aaj_2015_1.pdf.
- Australian Defence Force Journal, ‘CAS instruction at SFTC’, Apr 2014, available at: www.defence.gov.au/adc/adfj/Documents/issue_193/193_2014_Mar_Apr.pdf
- ASPI Strategist, ‘Proxy Wars and the demise of Conventional Warfighting,’ 15 Oct 2018, available at: https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/proxy-wars-and-the-demise-of-conventional-warfighting/
- ASPI Strategist, ‘The War in Iraq: Tactical Success, Strategic Ambiguity,’ 8 Nov 2017, available at: https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/the-war-in-iraq-tactical-success-strategic-ambiguity/