UNSW Canberra allows students who have successfully completed a minimum of 12 days of approved Professional Education courses to use those courses as partial credit for one course in the program, which has two main components:
• Prior successful completion of 12 days of approved Professional Education courses.
• A 3500-word essay exploring issues related the professional practice of a relevant discipline
To obtain credit for Professional Education courses, students apply to the Program Coordinator for permission (through an enrolment variation application) to enrol in the course. The application must include proof of successful completion of 12 days of approved Professional Education courses. On enrolment into the course, students engage with the Program Coordinator to choose an appropriate topic for the 3,500-word essay which will be submitted in the last week of the relevant session. A mark of satisfactory/unsatisfactory will be recorded for the course.
What is an approved Professional Education course?
An approved professional Education course is one that:
- contains at least one day (at least six hours) of course work
- is delivered by a presenter, or presenters, that would be eligible for appointment at an Australian university
- is assessed by at least one hour of examination for every three days of course work
- is able to be verified by inspection of course and assessment materials.
Which UNSW Canberra Professional Education courses are approved?
To obtain credit for the short course, a student must complete the associated examination and receive a “Successfully Completed” certificate. Our Professional Education Accreditation page lists those approved courses.
Are approved Professional Education courses offered by any other service provider?
A Professional Education/short course offered by a provider other than UNSW Canberra may be considered for inclusion in the list of approved Professional Education courses providing it meets the criteria listed above. If the course in question is not already listed on the list of approved
Professional Education courses application may be made to the Program Coordinator. An application for approval must contain at least the following:
- evidence of the number of hours of course work
- evidence that the presenter(s) would be eligible for appointment at an Australian university (a brief CV of each presenter is required, providing qualifications, background, and experience)
- evidence of the assessment for the course (must be at least one hour of examination for three days of course work), including copies of previous tests and marking criteria
- a copy of the course materials (course notes, and text).